It has been several weeks since the last Grandview Heights Band Update regarding preseason. During the long email silence, we have striven to stay on top
of the latest updates from Governor DeWine, Ohio Department of Health, Franklin County Board of Health, Grandview Heights Board of Education, and research into aerosol creation during artistic performance activities. This would include singing, performing with instruments, and acting on stage. Additionally, the approval of contact sports, specifically football, has informed our decision making process regarding the upcoming weeks and months.
The Band Department and GHHS administration team feel confident in releasing the following information and guidance:
1) Football Home Game Schedule - the Athletic Department has released the following home game schedule:
Friday, Sept. 4 - Home vs Whitehall-Yearling
Friday, Sept. 11 - Home vs Harvest Prep
Friday, Oct. 2 - Home vs Columbus Academy
2) The GHHS Band will only perform for these games listed above. There will be no travel of any kind during the regular or post-season.
3) Guidance from the Ohio Department of Health has limited our stadium to 15% capacity including the band. Therefore, a pep band version of the marching band will perform. It is limited to 24 students and one director. Each performing student is permitted a total of 2 family members to attend.
4) The Pep Band will not take the field at any time. It will perform, socially distanced, from the end-zone stands. Students will be required to wear face masks at all times, from arrival to departure.
5) Game 1 Pep Band Roster will be built using seniors, drums, and fill-ins from the juniors or sophomores. The final roster will be released next week, hopefully by Wednesday. Our goal is for all members to perform at one of the three games.
6) When the district pivots from Enhanced Remote Learning to Hybrid or Full Open schedule; all instruments will remain in the home. There will be no performing on woodwind or brass instruments inside GHHS. Research (linked below) has informed this decision to limit our coursework inside to music appreciation, music theory, and additional coursework. We are working with the facilities department to assess the safety of our music-making spaces and recommend any necessary improvements. It may be possible to perform outdoors but details are pending. Again, no performing on instruments inside GHHS.
The safety of your student and family is our priority. There will be a day soon when we will make music in the GHHS band room - until then, thank you for your flexibility and continued support.
International Coalition of Performing Arts Aerosol Study - Round 2 -CLICK HERE
Christopher Herrmann Director of Bands
Grandview Heights High School
1587 West Third Avenue | Columbus, Ohio 43212
O: (614) 485-4012