Greetings families, and welcome back (almost) to the beginning of the 2018-19 school year! Here are a few important updates from the Grandview Heights Band Parents
Association as we start the school year:
1. HS PICTURE DAY: reminder that GHHS marching band photos will be taken on Friday August 10. SENIORS should arrive at 12:30pm (for individual senior banner photos); everyone else should arrive at 1:30pm (for the group photo). Make-up date for senior banner shots only: Friday, August 17, immediately after school.
2. FALCO PARK CONCERT: the GHHS Marching Band kicks off its season on Sunday, August 12 at 7pm, with its traditional season preview concert at Falco Park. ALL ARE WELCOME, so please bring your families - especially your young band students - and a blanket or folding chair to enjoy the show. A few parents are still needed to assist with set-up and tear down. Please visit the signupgenius if you can help.
3. YOUR HELP NEEDED: speaking of parental help, returning band families know that August through October is the busiest time of year for the Grandview Bands program, and many, many, MANY adult volunteers are needed to support Band activities and fundraising in the fall. In particular, the Band Parents staff the concession stand for all home Bobcat football games. Parents of ALL high school bands students are asked to sign up for at least three concession volunteer slots (and we have trouble every year getting the parents of FRESHMEN and SOPHOMORE studentsinvolved early on, so please don't be shy if you are one of these folks). Note that even if your band student is still in middle school, we are also still HAPPY to have your help in the concession stands on Friday nights. It's super easy, there's lots of guidance and support provided, and (for real) it's a lot of fun and a great way to get to know your fellow band parents and see lots of friends in the community. PLEASE DO YOUR PART, and sign up for at least three slots, as soon as the signupgenius becomes available (coming soon).
4. NOT INTERESTED IN CONCESSIONS? No problem! We've got lots of other volunteering needs and opportunities throughout the football season as well. The "all but concessions" signupgenius will also be available soon, so watch for that, and sign up to help with away game chaperoning, hanging/taking down senior banners, loading equipment, or other assorted important fall season band volunteer jobs.
5. DECAL SALE: the Band Parents Decal Sale in late July brought in nearly $10,000 in support of the Grandview Heights Bands programs. Thanks to all who contributed! Missed your opportunity to donate? Oh, no you didn't! Just visit the Grandview Bands web site and click the "donate" button, or watch for the Decal Drive to turn up at the Bobcats' home football games this fall. We always welcome your financial support!
6. BAND COMMUNICATIONS: speaking of the band web site, have you visited lately? Did you know that all Band Director Updates and Band Parents emails are published there, on the blog? If you've lost an important message and need to refresh your memory on some logistical details, this is a great place to go to find whatever you are missing. Feel free to share this information with your student as well. You can also follow the Band Parents on Facebook and/or Twitter (see handles, below). There are many, many ways to stay connected!
Thanks for your support and commitment to the bands. Go Bobcats!
Thanks, all! Questions? Let me know!
Julie Rutter, Communications
Grandview Heights Band Parents Association